If you are an owner of the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 SGH-T859, you are going to be excited with this interesting news of your device receiving the official Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) firmware update over-the-air. But, this method is likely to take a lot of patience and hard work as you will be using Odin. This update features the User Interface of an enhanced Ice Cream Sandwich which will be providing a faster stock browser, new multitasking menu, better battery life along with the facilities of the platform. You can update manually if you don’t get access to OTA firmware updates.
Things to be noted
• The instructions discussed below are only applicable for T-Mobile Galaxy Tab 7.7, model number T859 and hence should not be applied on other devices.
• The instructions are for your learning and it is not guaranteed to work under your specific circumstances.
• Go through the total instructions before you go for the process of update.
• T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 SGH-T859
• Original USB data cable of your device
• Windows computer with web access
• The USB drivers of your device must be installed on your computer, You can do this by installing Samsung Kies.
• Enable USB debugging on your device and this you can do by navigating through Settings > Applications > Development >USB debugging. You need to put check mark on the box situated just beside the USB debugging option.
• Your Anti-Virus software may interrupt the rooting process. Hence, you need to uninstall all your antivirus suites on your computer as well as on your phone.
• Next, download Odin3 v1.85 (Odin3-v1.85.zip, 198 kB)
• Charge your device’s battery fully or up to 70% so that it does not shut in between the process.
• Back up all your important data and files so that you don’t lose them during the process and you can do this with the backup app and then restore later.
1. Firstly, you need to extract the contents of the T859UVLH6_T859TMBLH6_TMB.zip file. When you extract, you will get a file named as T859UVLH6_T859TMBLH6_T859UVLH6_HOME.tar.md5.
2. Next, you need to extract the contents of the Odin3 v1.85 file in order to get the Odin3 v1.85.exe file.
3. If you have connected you device to your computer using the USB data cable, disconnect it. Once you have disconnected, turn off your device.
4. Now, you need to double-click on the Odin3 v1.85.exe file in order to launch the Odin on your computer.
5. Make your device into the Download Mode and this you can do by holding down the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously till the screen turns on and then release the Power button. But you need to keep the Volume Down button pressed till a “Warning!” message appears on the screen. Now, you need to press the Volume Up key so that your device enters into the Download Mode.
6. Using the USB data cable, you need to connect your tablet to your computer. With this, a message read as “Added!!” will appear on the bottom left of the Odin window.
7. On the Odin, you need to click on the PDA button and select the T859UVLH6_T859TMBLH6_T859UVLH6_HOME.tar.md5 file and this file should be displayed in the space beside the PDA button.
Keep in mind not to alter anything else in Odin. Only add the mentioned file and leave everything else as they are. You should not tick the check box beside the “Re-partition” option.
8. Now, in the Odin, you need to tap on the ‘Start’ button in Odin to start flashing the firmware to your tablet.
Keep in mind that in case you get a message read as “FAIL” if Odin gets stuck, then you need to disconnect your tablet from the computer and then close the Odin. Repeat the instructions from step 4.
9. Once the flashing is finished, your tablet will automatically reboot and you must get the “PASS” message on the top left side of the Odin window. Once done, you can disconnect your device safely from your computer.
Keep in mind that if your tablet gets stuck at the boot animation, you will have to boot your tablet into the Recovery Mode and this you can do by pressing and holding down the Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously till your device reboots automatically. When you are in the recovery mode, you need to select ‘Wipe data/factory reset’ and then on the upcoming screen, you need to confirm the action. Then select ‘Go back’ and select ‘Reboot system now’ and with this your device will boot.
Once you are done with the above discussed instructions, know that your T-Mobile Galaxy Tab 7.7 SGH-T859 has been updated to the official Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich build UVLH6.
DISCLAIMER: Note that you are following these instructions at your own risk and make sure that we are not liable for any damage caused to your device due to the instructions provided in this guide.