Jelly Bean for Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 has been unveiled to various regions throughout the globe. Many users in some countries are still waiting for the official updates to be unveiled. Well, Ice Cream Sandwich OS is doing good on the phone but its performance will be enhanced if its updated to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. As then exact date of the update is not yet known, some users prefer to flash custom ROMs on their devices. CyanogenMod 10 is one of the most well know custom ROM and in fact, it enables you to have the benefits of the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Special thanks to XDA Developers member XpLoDWilD who shared the official nightly builds of the CyanogenMod 10 ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. With this ROM, you will be able to enjoy pure yet advanced Android 4.1 Jelly Bean but there are a few bugs and issues as it is a nightly build ROM. The issues are:
• Laggy animations on the UI
• Touch-to-focus on camera with LED flash enabled
• Camera recording effects not working
• Auto streaming via Bluetooth becomes laggy or stops at a certain distance
• FM radio not supported
Follow the guide below to upgrade the Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10 (official nightly).
Things to be noted
• The instructions discussed below are only applicable for Samsung Galaxy S3, model number GT-I9300 and hence should not be applied on other devices.
• The instructions are for your learning and it is not guaranteed to work under your specific circumstances.
• Go through the total instructions before you go for the process of update.
• Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 running on the stock Samsung Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM and installed with the ClockworkMod Recovery.
• Download: latest nightly build of CyanogenMod 10 for the I9300 and GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip, md5sum: 4e9e7ec3c22b0b3471bd05d62b8a659d)
• Charge your device’s battery fully or up to 70% so that it does not shut in between the process.
• Back up all your important data and files so that you don’t lose them during the process and you can do this with the backup app and then restore later
1. Firstly, you need to copy the CyanogenMod 10 nightly ROM and GApps package to the SD card of your phone’s internal memory.
2. Turn off your phone.
3. Next, you need to reboot your phone to ClockworkMod Recovery and this you can do by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until recovery boots.
4. Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Navigate “Backup and Restore” and select “Backup” on the next screen.
5. Select “Install ZIP from SD card” and then Select “Choose ZIP from SD card” and locate the CyanogenMod 10 ROM ZIP file.
6. Next, you need to confirm the action on the next screen in order to flash the ROM to your phone.
7. Likewise, you need to flash the GApps package just like you did in steps 5 and 6.
8. Navigate back to the main menu and select “Wipe data/factory reset” and confirm the action on the next screen.
9. Select “Reboot system now” to restart your phone.
Once you are done with the above discussed instructions, know that you have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean via the official nightly build of CyanogenMod 10 ROM.
DISCLAIMER: Note that you are following these instructions at your own risk and make sure that we are not liable for any damage caused to your device due to the instructions provided in this guide.