In fact, Android is a platform which never lets you to go through a boring time as it brings a lot of customization which include live wallpapers to custom ROMs. Well, for the people who are waiting for the new updates, a lot of custom ROMs are being unveiled. Now, if you are the one who owns a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710, you don’t have to wait for the official update from Samsung for the Jelly Bean. Sprint Epic 4G Touch owners are lucky to have Jelly Bean through the customizable custom ROM called the AOKP ROM.
Special Thanks to XDA Developers and its member named as slick_rick for coming up with this amazing unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean build for the Sprint Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710. Some issues with this ROM include ClockworkMod Recovery backup problems, MAC address, auto brightness, serial number, and CPU frequency alteration.
Things to be noted
• The instructions discussed below are only applicable for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710 and hence should not be applied on other devices.
• The instructions are for your learning and it is not guaranteed to work under your specific circumstances.
• Go through the total instructions before you go for the process of update.
• Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 installed with EL26 Stock ClockworkMod Recovery.
• Also download: GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, md5sum: f62cfe4a827202899919fd932d5246d7)
• Charge your device’s battery fully or up to 70% so that it does not shut in between the process.
• Back up all your important data and files so that you don’t lose them during the process and you can do this with the backup app and then restore later.
1. Firstly, you need to copy the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM and the GApps package to the SD card of your phone.
2. Turn off your phone and then boot it into the ClockworkMod Recovery and this you can do by pressing and holding down the Volume Up and Power buttons simultaneously till the device boots into the ClockworkMod Recovery and the screen turns on. To do this, you need to use the Volume keys to navigate and use the Power button in order to make a selection in the recovery.
3. Create a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM and this you can do by navigating to ‘Backup and Restore’ and then select ‘Backup.’
4. Next, select ‘Wipe data/factory reset’ and confirm the action on the next screen. Here, wait for a few minutes till the process is complete.
5. Now, select ‘Install ZIP from SD card’ and then select ‘Choose ZIP from SD card’ and then navigate to the AOKP ROM file. Select the file and on the next screen, you need to confirm the action so that the installation is initiated.
6. Once you are done with the installation, you need to install the GApps package in the same procedure as it is in step 5.
7. Once the installation of GApps is done, select ‘Go back’ and select ‘Reboot system now’ and with this, your phone will be rebooted into the newly installed AOKP ROM and this reboot make take up to 5 minutes long.
When you are done with the above discussed instructions, know that your Sprint Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 runs Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean as it is installed with AOKP Jelly Bean ROM.
DISCLAIMER: Note that you are following these instructions at your own risk and make sure that we are not liable for any damage caused to your device due to the instructions provided in this guide.