HTC Evo 4G adds another update to its list of custom firmwares. This new update known as Gingerbread 2.3.3 is pushed out slowly all across the world and ropes in a few enhancements and some minor bugs that we will b taking a look at in a short while. You can proceed with the update irrespective of the firmware version you are currently running on. You do not require to root your smartphone to proceed with this update and applying this update will not void your smartphone’s warranty.
We wont be responsible for any harm caused to your device during the updation procedure that is unlikely to happen if you follow the instructions carefully. The updation procedure is only applicable to network unlocked HTC Evo 4G smartphones so do not try it in any other devices as it might not be reversible and will harm the device by blocking it.
Let’s take a look at some of the enhancements that come with this update.
- Special dedicated icon for downloads in applications
- Bug free Tel Nav application
- Additional options while powering off your device
- Flip for Speaker sound, Pocket mode in sound settings, Group message feature
- RAM availability is increased
- Quadrant ranks have been improved
- Copy/Paste function is more flexible
- Volume rocker sound has changed
- SIP Calling is included
- Enable animated GIFs within the stock browser without any issues
- Shoot me application does not work
- Profile widget is removed from screen
- Unusual voice mail notification is displayed. You can fix this issue by navigating to Settings > Call > Clear Voicemail Notification
- Battery power
- Issues while loading Android Market
- Animations and brightness are dimmer than before
Backup all user data present in your phone since chances of data loss or corruption are there. Having a backup can help you replace the lost data in case any damage occurs. Follow the link posted below to backup and restore all your data easily.
Steps to Update Gingerbread 2.3.3 in HTC Evo 4G:
Step-1: Download Over the Air update zip file from the Must Have section to your computer and rename the downloaded file to “update.zip”. Do not rename it to any other name such as update.zip.zip and if you do so, the file wont get recognized by the phone. Now connect your smartphone to the computer via original USB Cable obtained at purchase time and copy the firmware file as it is to your phone.
Step-2: After copying is over, disconnect the USB Cable and turn off your smartphone to enter into Recovery mode. The Recovery mode can be entered by pressing the Volume Down button and Power button simultaneously. If the device boots into Normal mode then re-try to enter into Recovery mode till you are finally there.
Step-3: Choose the option of boot loader with the help of Power button, then scroll down to Recovery and select it also via Power button. Press Power button and Volume Up button simultaneously and choose “Apply sdcard:update.zip” with the help of the trackball.
Step-4: Select the update file placed in your phone with the help of Power button.When you select the firmware zip file, the firmware updation will start and it will take around 5 – 7 minutes to complete. After the updation completes, you will again land up in Recovery mode. Choose the option of “Reboot” to reboot the phone after which the home screen will be powered on. Here you may be prompted to select the language settings so proceed with it.
Thus you can easily update your HTC Evo 4G smartphone with Gingerbread 2.3.3 firmware by following the steps mentioned above carefully.