The makers of Android devices carry out user interface customizations and make use of skins which are specifically built for specific devices. Many users who use third-party custom ROMs, do flash this kind of custom software in order to avoid the maker’s skin such as TouchWiz but as a matter of fact, the CodenameSammy boosts devices with the TouchWiz 5 to the Google Nexus 7 and this powers the pure Android of Google by default. Special thanks to XDA Developers member smalldookie who came up and unveiled the CodenameSammy ROM for the Nexus 7. This custom ROM is basically based on the Codename Android 3.6 ROM. You can go through the video embedded below to check out how a member of the XDA Developers’ flashed the ROM on the Nexus 7.
Follow the guide below to install TouchWiz 5 on the Nexus 7.
Things to be noted
• The instructions discussed below are only applicable for Asus Nexus 7 and hence should not be applied on other devices.
• The instructions are for your learning and it is not guaranteed to work under your specific circumstances.
• Go through the total instructions before you go for the process of update.
• Asus Nexus 7 installed with ClockworkMod Recovery.
• Download: CodenameSammy 1.2 ROM (CodenameSammy-1.2.zip, 412 MB).
• Back up all your important data and files so that you don’t lose them during the process and you can do this with the backup app and then restore later.
1. Firstly, you need to copy the CodenameSammy 1.2 ROM to the internal SD card of your tablet device.
2. Switch off your tablet.
3. Using the USB data cable, you need to connect the tablet to your computer.
4. Next, you need to reboot your tablet into ClockworkMod Recovery and this you can do by holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons simultaneously till an Android logo or robot is visible at its back.
5. Making use of Volume Down button, you need to highlight “Recovery mode” and you can select it by pressing the Power button. What you find after sometime is that an icon of Anndroid having a red triangle displayed. Now, keep holding the Power button and then press Volume Up in order to enter into Recovery Mode.
6. Make a NANDroid backup of you existing ROM and this you can do by navigating and selecting the “Backup and Restore” and then selecting the “Backup” on the upcoming screen.
7. Select “Wipe data/factory reset” and then on the upcoming screen, you need to confirm the action.
8. Select “Wipe cache partition” and then on the upcoming screen, you need to confirm the action confirm the action.
9. Navigate back to the main menu and select “Advanced” and here, what you need to do is select “Wipe Dalvik cache” and then on the upcoming screen, you need to confirm the action confirm the action.
10. Select “Install ZIP from SD card.”
11. Select “Choose ZIP from SD card” and locate the CodenameSammy 1.2 ROM ZIP file and then on the upcoming screen, you need to confirm the action so that the flashing of the ROM is initiated.
12. Navigate to the main menu and select “Reboot system now” to reboot your tablet.
Once you are done with the above discussed instructions, know that you have successfully flashed the TouchWiz 5 user interface on your Asus Nexus 7 via CodenameSammy 1.2 ROM.
DISCLAIMER: Note that you are following these instructions at your own risk and make sure that we are not liable for any damage caused to your device due to the instructions provided in this guide.