Good news for the Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T9 owners as they are likely to update their device with the Jelly Bean based custom ROM. This is because a CyanogenMod 10-based custom ROM called Shri Chanakya custom ROM has been unveiled for the Galaxy S2 SGH-T989. Special thanks to XDA Developers and its member named shri chanakya, who came up with this custom ROM which makes use of Dream Kernel which again includes tweaks to init.d along with a number of TCP/DNS mods in the build.prop. This custom ROM benefits Galaxy S2 T989 users with Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean User Interface but accompanies all the bugs and issues that is included in CM10.
Things to be noted
• The instructions discussed below are only applicable for T-Mobile Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989 and hence should not be applied on other devices.
• The instructions are for your learning and it is not guaranteed to work under your specific circumstances.
• Go through the total instructions before you go for the process of update.
• T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 installed with ClockworkMod Touch Recovery.
• Download: Shri Chanakya CM10 ROM for the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (shri_chanakya-20120923.zip, 154.91 MB) and GApps (Google Apps) package for the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, 82.12 MB)
• Charge your device’s battery fully or up to 75% so that it does not shut in between the process.
• Back up all your important data and files so that you don’t lose them during the process and you can do this with the backup app and then restore later.
1. Firstly, you need to copy the ROM as well as the GApps package to the internal SD card od your phone.
2. Switch off your phone and boot your device into the ClockworkMod Recovery and this you can do by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power button till the device boots in to Recovery.
3. Now, make a NANDroid backup of the existing ROM of your device and this you can do by selecting
‘Backup and Restore’ and then select ‘Backup again’ on the next screen.
4. Navigate to main recovery menu once the backup is done.
5. Next, select ‘Wipe data/factory reset’ and then confirm the action on the next screen.
6. Now, you need to select ‘Install ZIP from SD card’, then select ‘Choose ZIP from SD card.’
7. Next, select the ZIP file of the ROM and confirm or installation.
8. Now, once again carry out or repeat step 7 and then carry out the installation of the GApps package to your phone.
9. Finally, select ‘Reboot system now’ in order to reboot your phone into the new ROM.
One you are done with the above discussed instructions, know that your T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 has been installed with Shri Chanakya ROM.
DISCLAIMER: Note that you are following these instructions at your own risk and make sure that we are not liable for any damage caused to your device due to the instructions provided in this guide.