As you know, the LG Nexus 4 E960 is the very 1st phone to run the Google’s Android 4.2 Jelly Bean platform and has a fast and smooth performance along with a top-of-the-line design cues. Well, you can push the device to its limits and flash custom ROMs but for this you need to have a custom recovery tool installed. One of the well known custom recovery tools available for Android is the ClockworkMod Recovery and you can flash this for ease. ClockworkMod Recovery will grant you the facility to make additions of a lot of advanced features in order to optimize your Nexus 4 experience. Your Nexus 4 is likely to relapse to the stock recovery once you have flashed CWM Recovery and so you can make use of Revert Recovery Disabler in order to prevent this. Follow the guide below to flash ClockworkMod Recovery for the Nexus 4.
Things to be noted
• The instructions discussed below are only applicable for LG Nexus 4, model number E960 and hence should not be applied on other devices.
• The instructions are for your learning and it is not guaranteed to work under your specific circumstances.
• Go through the total instructions before you go for the process of update.
• LG Nexus 4 E960.
• Download: Fastboot package (Fastboot.zip, 404.46 kB); ClockworkMod Recovery image (recovery-clockwork-touch-188.8.131.52-mako.img, 7.6 MB) and Revert Recovery Disabler (revert-recovery-disabler_signed.zip, 142.02 kB).
• Charge your device’s battery fully or up to 70% so that it does not shut in between the process
• Back up all your important data and files so that you don’t lose them during the process and you can do this with the backup app and then restore later.
1. Firstly, you need to extract the “Fastboot.zip” file to your computer and with this, you will find a folder named as “Fastboot.”
2. Keep the “recovery-clockwork-touch-184.108.40.206-mako.img” in the “Fastboot” folder.
3. Next, you need to copy the “revert-recovery-disabler_signed.zip” file to the internal SD card of your device.
4. Turn off your Nexus 4 device.
5. Now, you need to boot your Nexus 4 to the Fastboot Mode and this you can do by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons simultaneously. With this, the Android robot as well as the word “Start” will be displayed on the display of your phone.
6. Using a USB data cable, connect your Nexus 4 to your computer.
7. Now, you need to open a command prompt and then go to the “Fastboot folder.”
8. Enter the command: “fastboot devices” in order to check whether your phone is properly connected to the computer and with this, the serial number of your device will appear on the screen.
9. Now, enter the command: “fastboot oem unlock” in order to unlock the bootloader of your device and with this, a warning message will be displayed on your screen. Here, make use of the Volume keys, highlight “Yes” and then tap the Power button in order to select it.
10. Enter the command: “fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-mako.img” in order to flash the CWM recovery and when the flashing is finished, a ‘finished’ or ‘okay’ message will be dispayed.
11. You need to press the Volume keys on the Fastboot menu in order to select “Recovery mode” and then you need to tap the Power button in order to boot into Recovery Mode.
12. Select “Install ZIP from SD card” and then select the “Choose ZIP from SD card” and with this, flash the “revert-recovery-disabler_signed.zip” file. This confirms of the fact that the custom recovery has been permanently installed on the phone.
13. Finally, you need to select “Reboot system now” with this you are successful.
When you are done with the above discussed instructions, know that ClockworkMod Recovery is successfully installed on your LG Nexus 4 E960.
DISCLAIMER: Note that you are following these instructions at your own risk and make sure that we are not liable for any damage caused to your device due to the instructions provided in this guide.